Spire is fortunate to have a passionate group of community members who represent a wide range of experience and expertise to serve on our Advisory Board. The Spire Advisory Board is comprised of 10 members and serves to support Spire’s continued growth and development to best meet the growing needs of our students, families, faculty, and broader community.
The Board serves to:
Collaborate in supporting the mission of The Spire School;
Provide evaluative feedback on leadership;
Collaborate with the owners to ensure Spire’s financial health;
Review Spire’s policies, procedures, and programming;
Brainstorm and discuss new initiatives.
Appointed Board Members
+ John Battista, MS
- Former Superintendent of Schools: Monroe Public School System
- State of Connecticut Special Education, K-12 Certification
- State of Connecticut Intermediate Administrator and Supervisor
- Member of multiple professional boards and committees, including Regional Center of the Arts, Connecticut High School Reform Committee, Council for Exceptional Children
+ Adina Goldstein, DSW, LCSW
- Licensed clinical social worker/psychotherapist with over 30 years of clinical and administrative experience in social services and behavioral health.
- Member of multiple professional boards, and has worked with governing boards throughout public service years.
- Currently in private practice – working as a psychotherapist with individuals and couples
+ Jeffrey Goldwasser, MS
- Principal, Spectra Advisors, LLC Trumbull, CT 2008 to Present
- Spectra is focused on the post-secondary school market offering mergers and acquisitions advisory, divestitures, strategic alliances, equity and debt financing consulting, transaction structuring, and valuation services.
- Over 25 years in the for-profit school sector and more than 10 years in the public education sector as a teacher, counselor and administrator.
+ David Kaplan, MBA
- Retired financial executive who recently started his second career as a French teacher.
- Received his BA with a dual concentration in History and Economics from Brown University and an MBA from Harvard Business School. Attended the Lycee français de New York, lived and attended high school in Paris, France, and subsequently worked for a French bank in New York.
- Former member of the Board of Directors of a Bronx based Charter School
+ Frances Slusarz, JD
- More than 15 years' experience in Commercial Litigation, Family Law, Employment Law
- Currently: Special Counsel; Law Offices of Heidi E. Opinsky, LLC
- Formerly, Partner; FisherBroyles, LLP 2015-2017; Founder & President; The Slusarz Law Firm, LLC 2012-2015; Attorney at Law; Fox Rothschild LLP 2007-2012
- Spire Parent Alum
Ex-Officio Board Members
+ Victoria Newman, MSEd, CEP
Executive Director & Co-Founder, Greenwich Education Group Co-Director, Greenwich Education Group Day & Boarding School Advisory Services
- Founded Greenwich Education Group (GEG) in 2003 and is Executive Director of all GEG divisions.
- Director of Day and Boarding School Advisory Services.
- Earned BS and MSEd from Syracuse University School of Education, and wrote a thesis on the differentiation of instruction at the elementary school level, while interning in the Stamford Public Schools.
- Holds a Connecticut Professional Teachers’ Certificate and is a professional member of IECA, ERB, SSATB, TABS and SBSA.
- Serves on the board of the Arch Street Teen Center and the Distinguished Teacher Committee for the Greenwich Public Schools.
+ Peter Novins, MBA
Chief Financial Officer of Greenwich Education Group
- MBA from Harvard Business School
- Oversees financial operations and reporting; responsible for assisting all the company’s leaders with financial and operational decisions.
- Over 30 years of international business management experience, encompassing everything from newly formed start-ups to multi-divisional international firms.
- Former CEO of ZenCompliance and COO of Steele International Group.
- Passion for driving operational excellence and helping executive teams achieve far beyond what they thought was possible.
+ Tammy Moscrip, PhD, LCSW
Chief Administrator/Executive Director, The Spire School; Clinical Services Director, Greenwich Education Group
- Graduated magna cum laude from Bates College with pre-medical preparation and a double-major in biology and psychology.
- Earned her MA, MPhil and PhD in psychology (cognitive neuroscience focus) from Columbia University
- Licensed clinical social worker and certified school social worker who specializes in work with children & families.
- Former researcher at the National Institutes of Health and Columbia University, exploring the evolution of cognition through the study of nonhuman primate learning and memory.
- Teaches topics in psychology, statistics and research methodology, including two University of Connecticut's Early College Experience (ECE) classes.
- Published research articles on the neurobiological mechanisms of learning and memory, given numerous lectures on teen brain development and executive functioning, and authored a book chapter on the impact of early trauma on psychological and physiological functioning.
+ Kevin Ryan, MEd, CAS
Education Director, The Spire School
- Earned BA in special education with a minor in psychology from Southern Connecticut State University and is a certified special education teacher.
- Former special education teacher at Fairfield Woods Middle School in Fairfield, Connecticut.
- Earned a BS in special education, with a concentration in emotional disturbances, from Southern Connecticut and completed post-graduate studies in school administration and supervision at Sacred Heart University, where he earned a Certificate of Advanced Studies and certification in school administration.
- Joined the Farmington, Connecticut, public schools as assistant principal at Irving A. Robbins Middle School and eventually became principal.
- After seven years at the middle school, appointed principal of Farmington High School. During this period, continued post-graduate studies at the University of Connecticut, achieving certification as superintendent of schools.
- Following tenure in Farmington, became high school principal in Cheshire, Connecticut.
- Served as Director of Curriculum and Instruction at the Westport Day School.
+ Dede LeComte, AB
Admissions Director, The Spire School
- Graduated from Sweet Briar College with a double major in Sociology and Anthropology.
- Originally worked in promotion and marketing for two major corporations
- Passion for education is the result of the journeys of her four children. These experiences led her to serve on several school boards where she was Board Chair for the Northwest Greenwich Nursery School, Children’s Day School and, most recently, Oldfields School, an independent girls boarding school in Maryland.
- Long time member and past president of the Junior League of Greenwich